Monday, April 4, 2011

October 2, 1861


Fort Richardson PA
Oct 2, 1861
My Brother and Sister, I sit down to try to write you a few lines to let you know I am sick. I have had the fever but it has broken. I have no appetite so I gain no strength. I am now in an old house close to our camp but we shall have to leave it soon, for an order has come for us to move, but I do not know where. Direct the letters to Washington and I will get them all the same. The enemy have left Munster Hill and have fallen back to Bull Run. Tell all my friends that Mathews has no news for them. My head is not good, I cannot think of any thing to write today so you must excuse me this time. I should like to see the children and lick Bub on his butt. Tunis, if Pollock comes and wants that note let him have it for Polk has paid me.
             Samuel Matthews

There is no frost here yet but it is cool.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again Samuel had taken ill, though this time it appears to be much worse than before.

Fort Richardson, now just a suburban area of sprawling Washington DC, was not much more than a detached redoubt for protecting that vital city named after the 3rd’s own brigadier general Richardson. It had a perimeter of 316 yards and contained 15 guns and the 3rd built it and quartered there several times.

Apparently, Samuel had done some business with the Pollock family and they owned him money, and so Mr. Pollocks son, William (or “Polk”) Pollock paid Samuel back. The Pollocks were close neighbors to the Taylor family and seems to have been good friends.

Location of Fort Richardson


Picture of Fort Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment