Tuesday, April 5, 2011

October 12, 1861


Fort Lyon,  VA
Oct 12, 1861
So my brother and sister, it is with pleasure that I attempt to write you a few lines to let you know how I am. My health is returning to me and I am glad for it, for I have had some hard times on account of my health being poor. I hope these few lines may find you all well and George making heaps. I received your letter, baring the date of the 16th, and was glad to hear from you.
I have nothing new to write to you this time. We are encamped in sight of Alexandria, south west of the city some two miles and over looking the city. It is quiet around Washington now. The rebels have fallen back so we do not apprehend any battle here, though some think we shall soon advance and give them a brush. The rebels have blockaded the river below us not over 15 miles from our camp. We can hear their cannons when they fire into our ships.
It is very cool here now, we have a fire in our tent which makes it very comfortable now for me. We have plenty to eat, it consists of bakers breads, pork, beef, peas and beans and potatoes, tea, and taffy.
Bub, that apple tasted good.
Write again before you go to Lems. I have received no answer from Lem yet, I guess he has forgotten me. There is no prospect of the close of the War as I know of. I must omit making remark which I should like to. I feel sorry about Clarimode losing her whole family. I should like to see Boney he must dream of me.
I send my love to as many as are inquiring after me, and I send my love to the children. I must bring my letter to a close so goodbye,
S. Matthews
So see my friends that far way my heart doth truly burn and my humble prayer to God shall be that I may safe return.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Written by pen on a plain sheet of paper.

Fort Lyon, like Fort Richardson, was constructed by the 3rd as part of the Washington defenses. It was built in obedience to one of McClellan's first orders, that is, to increase the amount of forts surrounding the capitol. Fort Lyon, when finished, contained a total of 31 guns, 4 of them 200 pound parrots, and the others mortars. In 1863, long after the 3rd was gone from the fort, a black powder explosion erupted in the fort sending debris everywhere. It killed 25 soldiers and destroyed 8 tons of powder and was seen for miles. Fort Lyon was the last fort constructed by the 3rd, preceded by Fort Richardson, Fort Scott, and several other small redoubts and earthworks.

It is possible, if not probable, that Samuel had received a package from home when he mentions that he liked the apple. Many care packages were sent during the Civil War to soldiers away from home. These packages usually contained some sort of food, be it hard candy, pies, or other sweets to supplement the soldiers diet, something knitted at home (socks, mittens, ect.), newspapers, and occasionally the alcoholic beverage was baked into a loaf of bread or otherwise disguised.


Diagram of Fort Lyon
26th NY with Fort Lyon in background. Samuel's brother Henry
fought in the 26th and is probably in this image.

Location of Fort Lyon

No comments:

Post a Comment