Wednesday, April 13, 2011

January 3, 1862



Camp Michigan VA 
January 3rd, 1862
My dear friends in Michigan, I suppose you are anxious to here from me. I have neglected to answer your letter for I have been so busy. I am still cooking and it occupies all my time. My family is so large, 811 men.

We have moved since I wrote to you. We have advanced in Virginia three miles from Fort Lyon. I am well yet and hope these few lines may find you enjoying the same. I have no news to write tonight, perhaps you hear all the news of the whole army as soon we do. The weather is pleasant here and so far we had but flurry of snow and that was not enough to track a man. 

I want Tunis to see if he could let one hundred dollars out at twenty percent if I should send it to him. If he can and get twenty percent on it I will send it to him. He must take a mortgage on land and record it in mason in the county clerk’s office. I think Byers would like the money and if you could let [unintelligible word] better I will rase it the first of March. 

I am well satisfied with a soldiers life. We are quite comfortable now in our new camp. We have built log huts and enjoy ourselves various ways; some singing, some playing cards, some getting drunk, and some fool away their money, but you can guess what I do with mine. I send my love to you all and to my neighbors.

Write soon this is from,
Goodbye,  S Matthews
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On December 17, 1861, the 3rd moved three or four miles to the front to set up winter camp. I have not discovered where Camp Michigan's exact location is yet, other than it is three miles into Virginia from Fort Lyon. Getting to work shortly, the 3rd quickly constructed cabins and other items to help them relax and live in comfort during the boring winter months. 

The huts were made by stockading the tents, which was done by lay logs on top of each other in a fashion not unlike building a three to five log high square with Lincoln Logs. Then the soldiers to who the hut would belong would substitute two or more (depending on the number of occupants) shelter-halves for the roof. A makeshift fireplace and chimney would be made of brick, stone, or wood, depending on the inclination of the men and the materials at hand. If made of wood, it would be made in the same method as the stockading on which the tent was placed, and a good coating of clayey mud would line the fireplace. A barrel opened at both ends usually went on top of the chimney, and it was not uncommon for these to catch on fire.

The soldiers would also fashion stools, tables, and other furniture. The tables were made by turning a box upside-down then adding poles for legs. Bunks were built along one of the walls to save space, and at the head of each bunk would be a bundle of spare clothing that would double as a pillow during the night.

The 3rd stayed in Camp Michigan until mid-March, when they departed for the Peninsular Campaign.

The Byers family were some neighbors of the Taylor's (see Behind the Letters: Samuels Story for more info on Samuel's background) and were mentioned several times by Samuel in his letters to Sarah Jane and Tunis Taylor.


Cavalry building winter quarters (Click to enlarge)
Winter camp (click to enlarge)

Inside view of a log hut (Hardtack and Coffee)

No comments:

Post a Comment